It’s hiring season in Philadelphia, and the Science Leadership Academy schools have openings at all three (three!) campuses!
Science Leadership Academy @ Beeber is hiring for it’s final founding cohort, as next year will “fill” the school. They are looking for the following positions:
- Physical Education
- Special Education
Science Leadership Academy – Center City
Science Leadership Academy Middle School – Be part of SLA-MS founding faculty!
- Elementary Education
- Special Education
Call for Teachers:
- “How do we learn?”
- “What can we create?”
- “What does it mean to lead?”
These three essential questions form the basis of instruction at the Science Leadership Academy (SLA) a Philadelphia high school opened in September 2006. SLA is built on the notion that inquiry is the very first step in the process of learning. Developed in partnership with The Franklin Institute – a nationally recognized science and technology museum – and its commitment to inquiry-based science, SLA provides a rigorous, college-preparatory curriculum with a focus on science, technology, mathematics and entrepreneurship. Students at SLA learn in a project-based environment where the core values of inquiry, research, collaboration, presentation and reflection are emphasized in all classes.
The Science Leadership Academy is looking for faculty to continue to develop and implement a rigorous, inquiry-driven, project-based curriculum. In addition, all teachers at SLA have an advisory class where they work with the same students for four years. SLA is a national model for “School 2.0,” a reform movement that seeks to harness the tools of technology, tied to a progressive pedagogy, to re-imagine what high schools can be. As such, SLA is a 1:1 laptop school that uses multiple resources – web-based and traditional – to create meaning and understanding.
- Applicants must be PA State Certified or eligible for PA State Certification in their subject area.
- Applicants must be committed to the idea that we teach students first and our subjects second.
- Applicants must be willing to challenge students to work in an inquiry-driven, project based environment.
- Applicants must be willing to work collaboratively.
- Applicants must be willing to work in a diverse environment with students who reflect the rich heritage of Philadelphia.
- Applicants should have a strong background in technology infusion into the classroom and be willing to see their classroom as happening both on and offline.
- Applicants should have an interest in developing extra-curricular activities.
- Applicants should be energetic, flexible, and have a strong desire to work with administrators, fellow teachers, parents, and students to create a school that reflects SLA’s core values.
How to Apply:
For more information, please visit http://www.scienceleadership.org, http://www.slabeeber.org, http://slamiddle.org/ or contact SLA at email@example.com. Resumes and cover letters can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org but all applicants must apply through the School District of Philadelphia Site Selection Process as well.
SLA @ Beeber: Principal – Chris Johnson
SLA – Center City: Co-Principals – Chris Lehmann / Aaron Gerwer
SLA Middle School: Principal – Tim Boyle